Saturday, December 8, 2012

Potty Training... Day 1?

This morning, shortly after we woke up, A asked to go potty!

We've put her on the potty seat every now and again over the past several months just to get her famliar and comfortable with the big potty but we haven't made a big deal out of it. Sometimes she would go, sometimes she wouldn't but we weren't in a hurry to really begin "training". I know there are tons of people that have their kiddos potty trained way before the kids are 2 but I will admit that I am in no rush to get to the point where we have to stop whatever we're doing, wherever we are (i.e. finally next in line with a cart full of groceries), to find a bathroom. Yeah, I'm lazy. Besides that, I've heard a lot of stories of kids doing great mastering potty training and then regressing when a new baby comes soon after. I figured we'd just wait until after baby W arrives and we get past that adjustment first.

Anyway, just her asking this morning was quite a shock so I told her "Ok, wait until we get you on the potty!" and I jumped out of bed. We raced to the bathroom and I ripped off her diaper as quickly as I could. I kept saying "We're almost there", "Hold on". I didn't want to miss this grand opportunity! Ok, and I didn't want to be peed on or have to clean urine off the floor.

I got her seat on the potty sat her down, and then I heard the tinkling begin! She did it! She stayed dry all night - from 10p-9a, told me she needed to go, and then actually did it! WOOOOHOOOO! Go Auria!

Because we haven't been working on this I was so surprised & definitely proud. I may or may not have done a happy dance while she finished up her business...
Ok, I did. And she loved it, haha! She was saying "Yay, I did it!", "I potty!" :)
We got Daddy in on the celebration and once we got a new diaper on we went downstairs for a celebratory cookie.

So I'm calling this Day 1 of our potty training. If it doesn't go anywhere over the next few days I'm fine with it, but if she keeps interest I'll go with that, too. I'm sure there will be plenty more documentation of this journey to come.

Until next time.
Happy pottying, everyone ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...